Table 1 shows the evaluations for the 5 triads involving 10 observed coaching sessions.
a = Client's rating for value of session to them.
b = Coach's estimate of client's rating (a)
c = Observer's estimate of client's rating (a)
d = Observer's rating of coach's clean coaching skills
e = Coach's estimate of observers' rating (d)
f = Coach's rating for quality of the session
Table 1: Ratings by Clients, Coaches and Expert-Observers
Table 2: Clients' criteria used to assess the value of the session
Criteria collated into three categories:
Effect on self
Relationship with coach
Other coaching skills
Note: The italics has been added by the authors to indicate why category was chosen.
EFFECT ON SELF
- New insights.
- Some ‘aha’ moments.
- I like to feel [I've] have had insights.
- New information came out.
- Do I feel I have a clearer idea of what I want and what the current state is?
- I now have a clearer idea of what is happening and how I can go forward.
- Did I feel clearer?
- Had clarification of what I needed to do and a check on whether I would actually do it.
- Helped me clarify and develop my outcome.
- The importance of the situation is now more obvious.
- The things that are combining to perpetuate the present situation are more developed and understandable.
- Changes in the metaphorical representation.
- Changes in my inner response.
- Paper mapping provided different perspective.
- I “renovated” - reframed two [of my] coaching programs into a new offer for 2015.
- Disconnected a big value criterion.
- I like to feel like I’ve made progress
- The movement towards what I want out of the session.
- Learned something about ‘system’ outcome.
- Support in identifying actions that feel appealing and potentially useful.
- This is also something I can develop with [name].
- I feel I have something I can take away of use that will make a difference
- Confidence in following thru on identified actions.
- Able to take action on my outcome.
- Had actions to do what felt correct.
- Resonates with things which have come up before.
- My resources from the past are memorable now and can be used in the future.
- The importance of the topic that I was working on (the value to me).
RELATIONSHIP WITH COACH
- Sense of permission to explore.
- Sense of acceptance that I could explore whatever I wanted to explore.
- How safe I felt in the session to say what I wanted to say.
- Attention of coach on my words and actions.
- Level of presence of the coach.
- Would have liked to feel more presence from the coach.
- Rapport with coach.
- Did facilitator feel sympathetic
OTHER COACHING SKILLS
- Coach was a valuable asset in this.
- The fluidity/flow of the session.
- Did not write so session flowed.
- Necessary conditions to ‘feel’
- [Getting to a] Decision point, gut-mind together.
- Clean Space modelling of 1st step provided valuable information.
- The extent that the coach could distinguish between problem and desired outcome
- Responsiveness and useful directing of attention.
- When had to answer questions that did not feel relevant/or clean that detracted from the session