Research Methodology used at Developing Group, 2 Aug 2014.
1. A Goal-focused Coaching Skills Questionnaire (GCSQ) was emailed to participants in advance with a request to complete it and bring it on the day.* The instruction given was:
Circle the number that most reflects your assessment of your current clean coaching competency.
2. Twelve questionnaires were completed. The average scores for each person were converted to the equivalent scores out of ten:
The scores ranged from 6 to 9 out of 10, with an average of 7.3.
3. Ten of the participants were paired up and allocated an expert-observer (a recognised assessor of Clean Facilitator competencies). The participants in each dyad took turns to be the coach and the client for an observed 30 minute session.
4. At the end of each session the client, coach and observer completed in private
a sheet designed specifically for that role.** The sheets were collected without other participants seeing them. The sheets contained requests for:
(i) numerical evaluations out-of-ten from various perspectives, and
(ii) a textual list of the key criteria used in the evaluation of the session (see below).
5. After both coaching sessions had finished and the figures entered into a computer, the sheets were handed back to each triad for reflection and discussion.
6. An anonymised summary of the results were shown to the whole group for more reflection and discussion.
7. Lastly, the group was spit in half and two of the expert-observers conducted a 30 minute coaching session observed by the other four participants and another expert-observer. Evaluation sheets were completed as #4 and compared within the group. NOTES
* Questionnaire used with permission. See: Goal-focused Coaching Skills Questionnaire (GCSQ), Anthony M. Grant & Michael J. Cavanagh. Social Behavior and Personality, 2007, 35 (6), 751-760.
The GCSQ sent out was slightly modified from the original. One word in each of questions f, g, h and j was changed to make the questions compatible with clean coaching. Download: Clean_modified_GFCSQ_questionnaire.pdf
** The three sheets asked for the following evaluations and information. The letters (a)-(f) refer to Table 1 in Findings:
Completed by CLIENT:
On a scale of 1 to 10, the value of the session to me was .......................... (a)Completed by COACH:
Please list the key criteria you used to assess the value of the session to you:
On a scale of 1 to 10, I evaluate the quality of the session as ..................... (f)Completed by EXPERT-OBSERVER:
Please list the key criteria you used to assess the quality of the session:
I estimate the CLIENT rated the value of the session to him/her as ............. (b)
I estimate the OBSERVER rated my clean coaching skills as ....................... (e)
On a scale of 1 to 10, I evaluate the coach’s clean coaching skills as ........... (d)
Please list the key criteria you used to assess the clean coaching you observed:
I estimate the CLIENT rated the value of the session to him/her as.............. (c)